Monday 22 December 2008

The name's Bourne - Professor Bourne!

This from Nick Bourne's personal blog:

"Imagine my surprise to receive a phone call from my former employer [Swansea Metropolitan University]. I worked there when they were Swansea Institute. I was employed first as head of Swansea Law School and professor of Law and then as Assistant Principal...Apparently a journalist had called them to ask if I was still entitled to call myself professor. I remember when I got the designation how proud my parents were that some of their considerable investment in money and especially time and energy had been rewarded. My friends found it a slight source of amusement and would call me prof. in a light-hearted way. I was never that fussed about the title and tended not to use it even when I worked there. Apparently as the journalist was roundly told I am entitled still to use the title – I don’t think I will be making too much use of it at work however.

And of course thanks to the journalist for there* interest!"

Is this the latest attempt by the Welsh media to find a way of ousting Professor Bourne from his post and if so surely this now amounts to a witch-hunt against the Tory leader?

Interestingly this is Nick's first post in a couple of weeks and no reference at all to iPodgate. Perhaps he's decided to follow Rod Richards' advice, and Alun Cairns' example, afterall!

*Equally enlightening is the fact that even professors can struggle with distinguishing between similarly sounding words! But their's no need to point it out to him: he has other things on his mind.

Dewi Dau

Share

No comments: